- This event has passed.
AGE-WELL Emerging Entrepreneur Award in Technology and Aging
March 8, 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 8, 2019
The AGE-WELL Emerging Entrepreneur Award supports the development of emerging entrepreneurs to create and grow an innovative start-up with potential social and economic impact in Canada. The innovation must address one of AGE-WELL’s 8 Challenge Areas to shape the future of technology and aging research in Canada.
This $25,000 award is designed to give a new entrepreneur the financial resources to focus on making their ideas a viable business.
Award Value and Term
$25,000 (1 year award; not renewable). Award funds will flow as salary support in compliance with AGE-WELL grant administration guidelines and practices.
The Emerging Entrepreneur program will also provide recipients with additional mentorship and training from various members within the AGE-WELL network including AGE-WELL’s Chief Entrepreneur and CEO of Rakuten Kobo, Michael Tamblyn. Recipients will be matched to key mentors who will work with and support the funded entrepreneur in building or growing their business.
Recipients will have access to AGE-WELL member benefits and specialized services from AGE-WELL partners and Core Facilities, such as legal guidance, commercialization and knowledge mobilization support, access to prototyping labs, and entrepreneurship training.
In order to be considered for the AGE-WELL Emerging Entrepreneur Award funding applicants must:
- Be students, post-doctoral fellows, or have graduated from your program or completed a post-doctoral fellowship within the last three years seeking to turn their innovation into a viable business through an existing or planned start-up company.
- Be over the age of 18 and residents of Canada.
- Innovations previously funded by AGE-WELL (i.e. Catalyst, SIP or CIP grants) may be supported through this program. However, applicants are unable to hold funds from two 12-month AGE-WELL funding or award programs at the same time.
- Be able to commit 20+ hours per week towards developing or scaling their business.
- Award recipients are expected to participate actively in the network, including cooperation in the publicizing of any success stories arising from this award.
- Recipients are required to complete AGE-WELL’s EPIC Training Program within one calendar year of accepting the award.
- Recipients are expected to hold regular meetings with their assigned mentors to ensure ongoing progress towards project goals
- Recipients are required to complete 1) a mid-term progress report in October 2019 and 2) a final report on outcomes and impact in April 2020.
Application and Review Process
All applications will be reviewed by a team of field experts using the following criteria:
- rationale and approach
- your value proposition
- fit with AGE-WELL vision and mission
Applications Open: February 1, 2019
Completed Applications Due: March 8, 2019
Results Available: March 27, 2019
Funding Commences: April 2019