George Brown College Closure in Effect
For the latest information on George Brown College and the Covid-19 – please visit the dedicated George Brown College information page
On March 17 Ontario Premier Doug Ford declared a State of Emergency in the province as part of efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19. This means public events of over 50 people are banned until March 30. All bars and restaurants are closed (except those offering takeout), as well as places of worship, theatres, private schools and daycares. Essential services such as public transit, grocery and convenience stores and pharmacies continue to operate.
George Brown College announced on March 16, that all George Brown College buildings are closed until further notice, with the exception of The George, our student residence. The college’s operations continue but all services will be provided through remote working.
startGBC, therefore, will continue to provide students with one-on-one coaching via online tools and you are encouraged to continue to reach out to request meetings. Contact us via email: startGBC@georgebrown.ca or call: +1 416.415.5000 x5569
George Brown College is committed to providing as much support as possible to students, employees and community so the George Brown College Counselling team has put together some tips on coping with self-isolation and reducing stress, which we encourage you check out.
Although our campuses are closed until further notice, Counselling & Student Wellbeing services remain available to all students. Counselling Services can be reached by email at the addresses below:
- James Campus: email@example.com
- Casa Loma Campus: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waterfront Campus: email@example.com
Naturally this is a time of heightened anxiety. Please note that there are a number of services that can support mind wellness and so we encourage you to refer to the telephone and online mental health supports and services listed below:
- Good2Talk: 24-hour post-secondary support service, Phone: 1-866-925-5454 or text: GOOD2TALKON to 686868
- Distress Centre (GTA): 24-hour crisis line, 416-408-4357
- Gerstein Centre (downtown Toronto): 24-hour crisis line & mobile support service, 416-929-5200
- Spectra Helpline: 416-920-0497 or 905-459-7777 for Brampton and Mississauga residents
- Community Crisis Line Scarborough and Rouge Hospital: 416 495-2891 for 24/7 telephone crisis support
- Durham Crisis and Mental Health Line: 905 666-0483
- Oakville Distress Centre: 905 849-4541 for residents of Halton Region (Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville)
IF YOU ARE ALREADY RUNNING A BUSINESS THEN VISIT OUR DEDICATED PAGE FOR COVID-19 BUSINESS RESOURCES
Do you have a great business idea?
Want to know how to set up your own business or social enterprise?
Need practical help and support to develop your business skills?
Then startGBC is here for you. We help, encourage and mentor budding entrepreneurs like you, who have the passion and drive to bring an entrepreneurial idea to life, but need help in shaping that winning formula for success.
We remain open for online one-on-one consultations during the COVID-19 service disruption, so reach out today.
startGBC is your gateway to entrepreneurship at George Brown College. We are a physical and virtual hub connecting students, alumni and the community with resources, programs and support to foster a culture of entrepreneurship on campus and beyond. We offer all students, no matter their course of study, a fundamental toolkit of entrepreneurial best practices, helping you develop your skills and grow from ideation to commercialization.
startGBC operates a co-working space within the GBC Office for Research and Innovation, located at our Waterfront campus – a place for shared learning and where we host a number of valuable workshops throughout the year.
startGBC collaborates and partners with all schools and programs across George Brown College campuses by delivering:
- On-line resources, directing students to the wealth of learning and funding options available across Ontario and beyond.
- A collaborative workspace environment to learn and to develop your business idea.
- Practical support offering aspiring entrepreneurs guidance from mentors and advice from professional service providers as well as the experienced startGBC team.
- Programming and events, including the Why Not Me speaker series, featuring alumni entrepreneurs and The Practical Entrepreneur workshop program.
At startGBC we strongly believe that collaboration creates innovation, so go forth and collaborate, create and innovate!