This startGBC program is made possible thanks to the generous support of:
startGBC Design Jam is accepting applications from any George Brown College student or recent graduate, who attended an academic program between January 2021 and October 2022, with an active georgebrown.ca email account, who is looking to develop a more robust entrepreneurial mindset and an understanding of the principles of Design Thinking.
The Design Jam subject matter challenges will be based on the UN 17 Sustainable Development Goals
We request that you register as an individual and closer to the event we will hold a match-making session where you will have the opportunity to join 3-others to create a team of 4 people. We will send detailed information prior to the match-making session on the subject matter the challenges will be based on so you can work with like-minded individuals from any academic center.
The Design Jam will have a $4,000 prize pot and the winning teams will split the prize funds equally between team members.
The winning Team will receive $1,000
1st Runner-Up Team will receive $800
2nd Runner-Up Team will receive $700
3rd Runner-Up Team will receive $600
4th Runner-Up Team will receive $500
5th Runner-Up Team will receive $400
We will run this event as a hyflex competition and ask that participants indicate if they will attend in person or participate remotely. All team members will be placed in teams that are made up of the same selection so that all team members are either virtual or in person. The Design Jam will occur over 3-days and operate between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, October 25, Wednesday, October 26, and Thursday, October 27, 2022.
Please complete the following expression of interest to participate and a link to the instructions will be emailed to you https://share.hsforms.com/105up1LizQNOB2gHPahNlVw1yd5z . or complete the embedded form at the bottom of this webpage.
How to Enter and Steps for the Competition:
- Interested participants must register their interest via the dedicated competition page on the startGBC website startGBC.com/DesignJam by 4:00 p.m., Friday, October 14, 2022.
- Participants will be sent full details on the design jam, Monday, October 17, 2022, and will be invited to a team member match-making session on Friday, October 21, 2022.
- Design jam participants must attend all 3-days of the design jam and actively work with team members on producing a solution to one of the set challenges.
- All teams will pitch their ideas on Thursday, October 27, 2022, to a panel of judges selected by startGBC.
- Winners will be selected on Thursday, October 27, 2022, and winners will be announced by 5:00 p.m. Thursday, October 27, 2022
- Funds will be deposited into their George Brown College Stu-View student account within 21-days of the end of the design jam.
- Entries must be single participants willing to work as a part of a team.
- Participants must be current students at George Brown College or recent alumni (who graduated between January 2021 and October 2022).
- Open to domestic and international students and prize funds will be split equally between all team members.
- Applicants must use an active George Brown College email account to submit an application and receive competition communications and be able to receive funds if successful.
- All applicants must be available to present a 5-minute pitch on the afternoon of Thursday, October 27, 2022, in order to be eligible to receive funding.
- Finalists are not guaranteed prize funds if they did not adhere to competition guidelines.
- Applicants will learn the identity of the final competition selection panel on Thursday, October 27, 2022
- Applicants will retain ownership of all intellectual property contained in their submissions.
- Applicants are encouraged to review the UN Sustainable Development Goals before making an entry.
Competition Rules and Regulations
By submitting an application to the startGBC Design Jam competition, applicants consent and agree to abide by the following rules and regulations:
- George Brown College is not responsible for any lost, late, illegible, incomplete, falsified, destroyed, or failed entries, or for any electronic miscommunications or failures of any kind, which may limit a person’s ability to participate in the competition.
- Each participant may only work with one team.
- Deliberate or negligent misappropriation of the intellectual property of another person is an ethical breach that will be grounds for disqualification from the competition.
- In the event that startGBC is prevented from continuing with the contest by an event beyond its control, startGBC or George Brown College has the right to modify, suspend, extend, or terminate the competition.
- startGBC and George Brown College reserve the right to use competition submissions, as well as photographs or videos taken of competition applicants, as a group or individually, over the course of the competition, for educational and promotional purposes in perpetuity.
- In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted an entry, the entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address used to submit the entry at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
- By participating in the startGBC Design Jam competition, entrants agree to be bound by these official rules and the decisions of startGBC and the judges, which are final and binding in all respects. Failure to comply with the Official Rules will result in disqualification.
- All rules and regulations proposed within are subject to change, at the sole discretion of startGBC, at any time, without previous warning or notification to contest applicants.
- All applicants will be required to complete a competition exit survey which will require applicants to reflect on the process and personal development in line with the George Brown College Human Skills Framework.
- The final competition will be recorded by startGBC/George Brown College and will be made available for viewing by startGBC/George Brown College. All applicants will be required to sign a video/media release form.
- If details provided by applicants are no longer active on Thursday, October 27, 2022, funds will become void.