The first round of applications will be accepted until June 30, 2022, or when funds are expended, whichever comes first.
The CaféTO 2022 Property Improvement Program is available to owners and tenants of commercial and industrial properties in Toronto to improve the appearance and/or function of exterior spaces associated with the property. This program is funded by the Government of Canada through the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario .
Small retail businesses are essential to the vitality and success of Toronto’s main streets and neighborhoods, and key drivers of economic prosperity for residents, families, communities and the city as a whole. The CaféTO Property Improvement Program was developed in support of the recovery and long-term success of local small businesses.
Grants cover one-half of the costs of eligible property or site improvements up to a maximum amount of $5,000 (based on a minimum of $10,000 of improvements). Funding can include patio improvements on private property and spaces on public property for which a valid permit has been issued.
Additional grant funding of up to $2,500 is available for exterior accessibility improvements such as the installation of ramps, handrails and other accessibility devices which meet Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) design standards.
Architectural, engineering from a certified Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) specialist and Building Code Identification Number (BCIN) registered designer fees may be covered to a maximum of $1,000 per application.
Grants are available to owners and tenants of street-level commercial and industrial properties in Toronto to improve the appearance and/or function of exterior spaces associated with the property. Places of worship, institutional buildings, and residential buildings are ineligible for the program.
The CaféTO Property Improvement Program is available to owners and tenants of commercial and industrial properties within the city of Toronto for property improvements such as:
- Permanent improvements to patio or café spaces on private property that serve a business use excluding furnishings
- Café spaces on City property for which a valid permit has been issued
- Ground mounted signage
- Exterior decorative or security lighting
- Permanent on-site boulevard landscaping features (excluding plant material)
- Installation of wheelchair ramps, handrails and other exterior accessibility improvements which meet AODA design standards.
Only one property application from a business chain or a franchise chain will be considered under this program.
The intent of the program is to improve the appearance and/or function of exterior spaces associated with commercial or industrial properties. The following are examples of ineligible projects:
- Maintenance costs of existing property elements, such as lighting and broken windows
- Repairs to signs, remove or cleaning of bird droppings from signs, replacement of dead trees and other landscaping vegetation or replace chipped driveway pavers, etc.
- Applications for work totaling less than $2,000
- Projects at places of worship, institutional buildings, not-for-profit commercial buildings and residential buildings.
How to Apply
Eligible applicants may apply by completing the application form along with additional required documentation identified in the form and emailing it to Michael Saunders, Economic Partnership Advisor at Michael.Saunders@toronto.ca on or before June 30, 2022, or before funds are expended, whichever comes first.